Sunday, November 30, 2008

Beeturia


Yesterday my urine was bloody. It was quite a shock to look down and see the toilet filling up with red pee. And when I say red, I don't mean that really dark yellow pee that you get if you haven't been drinking enough water. This pee looked just like blood.

I couldn't think of any good reason for having blood in my urine...then again, who can? Anyway, I had been sitting at a desk the whole day. I literally hadn't been active at all. I could understand bloody pee if I had been brutally tackled during a football game or had been in some awful car accident. But sitting at a desk?

Then Dorothy reminded me that I had eaten some beets earlier that afternoon. Bingo! Turns out there is a disease (if you can call it that) called "beeturia". Google gives this definition for it: "Beeturia is passing of red or pink urine and feces after eating beets. It affects 10-14% of the population." I haven't passed any feces yet, but believe me, I'm excited to see it.

So, if you're luck enough to have beeturia, don't be surprised if a good helping of beets makes your pee really colorful.

1 comment:

Dorothy said...

Ha ha ha. You're special.